This is one of the many dishes that I learnt from my mother-in-law. My inlaws family is from Tirunelveli and my parents are from Tanjavur. I constantly make fun of mother-in-law that she always puts coconut in all of her dishes. She retreats back saying Tanjavur people sautee every curry till they are like chips and add chilli powder. As a matter of fact what she’s saying is true. I sautee most of the curries and add chilli powder and like it that way. I like having this small tug-of-war with my mother-in-law as this makes me think of her more when I make such dishes and I always end up having a BIG SMILE when I’m cooking it. I consider this as a foundation for a more understanding relationship and I’m sure she must be smiling when she sautees her dishes and adds chilli powder. Coming back to the raw banana curry, yes, its cooked in Tirunelveli style with shredded cooked raw banana garnished with coconut. I love this dish as the raw banana has a soft texture and blends well with coconut and the spiciness from green chillies and ginger adds flavor and taste.
Raw Banana –3
Green Chillies –2 (finely chopped)
Ginger –1/4″ piece (finely shredded)
Mustard seeds — 1 Tbsp
Urad dal –1 1/2 Tbsp
Curry leaves — a few (pinched)
Asafetida(hing) –a pinch
Oil –2 Tbsp
Turmeric powder –1/4 tsp
Salt –to taste
Coconut (shredded) — 3 Tbsp
Lemon juice of 1/2 lemon
Coriander leaves –2 Tbsp
1. Grease a kadai with 1/2 tsp of oil and fill it with water. Cut the raw bananas in to half and add them to the water. Cook with lid covered for about 10 to 15 minutes.
2. Drain the water, remove skin from the raw banana and shred them in to a bowl.
3. Heat 2 Tbsp of oil in a kadai, splutter mustard seeds and then add urad dal. Let it brown. Now add pinched curry leaves, asafetida, green chillies and ginger. Fry them for a min and then add shredded raw banana.
4. Add salt, turmeric powder and mix well. Sautee for about 5 mins and remove from fire.
5. Sprinkle lemon juice and garnish with coriander leaves. Serve with rice.
Cut bananas in to half and cook in greased kadai.
Remove skin after cooking.
Tempermustard seeds, urad dal, green chillies, ginger, and curry leaves. Add hing, shredded banana, turmeric powder, and salt.
Add lemon juice, and garnish with coriander leaves.
Thank you for visiting Sizzlingveggies.com. If this is your first time here -- a Warm Welcome. Get ready with your chef hat, apron, and a big SMILE to cook some tasty recipes from around the world. Don't hesitate to join my Facebook Fan Page where I share my passion for cooking, baking, blogging and never ending sizzling recipes.