This recipe has the goodness of a green vegetable and the protein from Lentil. A very traditional south Indian recipe, and a very common one in festive occasions. Paruppu Usili can be made with string beans, bell peppers, plantain flower, or green beans. The dish is best accompanied with Moor Kuzhambu or Rasam.
Green Beans(washed and chopped) –1 cup
Channa Dal –1/2 cup
Toor Dal –1/4 cup
Red Chillies –2
Mustard seeds –1 tsp
Salt –to taste
Asafetida –1/4 tsp
Turmeric powder –1/4 tsp
Curry leaves –a few
Oil –as needed
1. Soak Channa Dal, Toor Dal, Red chillies in water for about 15-20mins.
2. In a kadai, add 1 Tbsp of oil and mustard seeds. Let it splutter. Now add green beans, salt and turmeric powder and cook till soft. Transfer the beans in to a bowl.
3. Grind the soaked dals with red chillies, salt and asafetida in to a coarse paste.
4. Steam the grinded paste either in idli cooker or steam in a double boiler (boil water in a pan, place a bowl on top of the pan, the bottom of the bowl shouldn’t touch the water. Cover the bowl tightly with a lid). Once the paste is steamed, crumble the paste in plate and keep aside.
5. In the kadai, add 2 Tbsp of oil, add curry leaves and the crumbled steamed paste. Fry till crisp and golden brown.
Grind the dals, red chillies, salt and asafetida in to a coarse paste.
Cook green beans with seasoned mustard seeds, turmeric powder, and salt.
Crumble the steamed dal paste and fry until golden brown.
Mix cooked green beans with fried dals and enjoy.
Thank you for visiting Sizzlingveggies.com. If this is your first time here -- a Warm Welcome. Get ready with your chef hat, apron, and a big SMILE to cook some tasty recipes from around the world. Don't hesitate to join my Facebook Fan Page where I share my passion for cooking, baking, blogging and never ending sizzling recipes.