It’s raining outside and I wanted to make something spicy yet not super hot for my kids to run around the house for water but enough to get a sizzle with the taste and I guess peppercorn is one of the right ingredient. The combination of ghee (clarified butter) and pepper gives the right kick of spiciness with every bite. I got this recipe from one of my cookbooks and it’s super easy to make yet very delicious to eat. A unique variation to otherwise usual gobi sabji.
Cauliflower –1 big (cut in big florets)
Small Onions — 10
Mustard seeds — 1 tsp
Aniseeds (fennel seeds) –1 tsp
Curry leaves –few
Garlic –5 medium pods
Salt –to taste
Ghee — 2 Tbsp
Peppercorns — 1 tsp
Red Chillies –3
Small onions — 10
Jeera — 1tsp
Roasted Cashewnuts (optional) — 10
Ghee –1 Tbsp
1. Fry the ingredients in To Grind list with ghee and grind to a fine paste.
2. In a kadai, heat 1 Tbsp of ghee, splutter mustard seeds and add aniseeds. Add finely chopped garlic, thinly sliced small onions and fry till onions turn golden brown.
3. Add cauliflower florets and sprinkle little water. Cover with a lid and let it cook till the water is absorbed. Add ground paste, remaining ghee, and salt and mix well.
4. Fry in a low flame constantly till the ground mixture coats the cauliflower and the florets are well cooked to firm but not mushy and the ghee starts to separate.
1. You can prepare this dish with mushrooms also.
2. If you don’t like pepper taste, the amount of peppercorn can be reduced and the amount of red chillies can be increased to give more spiciness.
Fry peppercorns, jeera, red chillies, small onions in ghee and grind in to a fine paste. Roasted cashews can also be grinded together.
Fry small onions and garlic and add cauliflower florets, add ground paste and cook in low flame.
Enjoy with your choice of flat bread or rice.
Thank you for visiting Sizzlingveggies.com. If this is your first time here -- a Warm Welcome. Get ready with your chef hat, apron, and a big SMILE to cook some tasty recipes from around the world. Don't hesitate to join my Facebook Fan Page where I share my passion for cooking, baking, blogging and never ending sizzling recipes.