I took some break…a well needed one. In the process of trying not to neglect my baby (my blog), I’ve been cooking up a storm. Heads up, lots of new recipes that are tried and tested are going to be posted in my blog so stay tuned. I’ve also been so excited playing with my new DSLR and hopefully the days of bad pictures are behind me. I’ll be posting as regularly as possible, well I’ve sworn myself to oath to be consistent.
Coming to this recipe, I was so happy to try this recipe from piarecipes as it had all of my favorite ingredients. I love almonds, dark chocolate and caramel individually, but putting them all together is just pure heaven. I love the combination so much that I had to try. I don’t have candy thermometer and its high time I invest in one. I made this recipe looking for deep caramel color and my caramel layer was hard toffee (just as the recipe suggested). I would have enjoyed more if it was little softer, so the next time I’m planning to make this recipe, I’m sure to do it with the candy thermometer. Nevertheless, my kids loved the combination of hard toffee with soft chocolate layer…with crunchy almonds they were delicious. Enjoy!!!
- Dark Chocolate -- 8 ounces
- Almonds -- 3/4 cup (finely chopped)
- Butter -- 1 cup
- Sugar -- 1 cup
- Water -- 2 Tbsp
- Salt -- 1/8 tsp (optional)
- Vanilla Extract -- 1 tsp
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Toast chopped almonds in a baking sheet for 6 to 8 minutes, until well toasted. I used store bought dry roasted, unsalted almonds and skipped the toasting part.
- Line a 10 inch square pan with aluminium foil. Set aside.
- In a heavy sauce pan, cook butter, sugar, water, and salt over medium heat until temperature reaches 305F, stir occasionally. (Note: watch after the temperature reaches 290F as the temperature increases rapidly).
- When the caramel turns golden brown, immediately remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract. Pour the caramel on to the prepared pan. The mixture may spread but will not reach the ends. Cool at room temperature for around 45 minutes or until hard.
- Melt chocolate either in a double boiler or in microwave as per packaging instructions. Spread melted chocolate on top of the caramel toffee. Sprinkle with chopped almonds. Let it set for about an hour at room temperature or until the chocolate is set. Cut into squares and munch on. They store well for upto a month. Enjoy!!!
Thank you for visiting Sizzlingveggies.com. If this is your first time here -- a Warm Welcome. Get ready with your chef hat, apron, and a big SMILE to cook some tasty recipes from around the world. Don't hesitate to join my Facebook Fan Page where I share my passion for cooking, baking, blogging and never ending sizzling recipes.