Spinach and Strawberry in a salad? How odd right? Even I thought the same when a friend said she makes this salad often at home along with home-made strawberry vinaigrette. The thought of trying them was in my mind but if I had spinach then I had no strawberries and if I had strawberries I didn’t have spinach until the stars aligned and I got bountiful spinach and strawberry from my local farmer’s market this week, I finally decided to try it for my lunch.
The taste of tangy strawberry vinaigrette was perfect with soft spinach leaves and I liked the taste of salty feta cheese with sweet strawberries and tangerine making this salad so different from others. Yum! I didn’t know I would like it this much as I would not qualify as a salad person. I have to admit that even though I don’t make salads that often I do like making them as it requires a minimal effort of cutting the vegetables and combining the ingredients in right proportions. This salad would be a definite treat for any salad lover and a visual treat with beautiful vibrant colors for both adults and kids alike.
- Spinach -- 1 package (3 cups approximately)
- Strawberries -- 1 pint (about 14 strawberries, washed, and hulled)
- Tangerines -- 2 small ones (peeled and separated)
- Feta Cheese (crumbled) -- 3 Tbsp
- Olive Oil -- 1/4 cup
- Strawberries -- 4 to 5
- White wine vinegar -- 3 Tbsp
- Salt and Pepper -- to taste
- Wash strawberries, remove stem and blend with vinegar into smooth paste. Mix olive oil, salt, and pepper well and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Wash spinach, remove stems (if spinach leaves are big, then tear them into bite size pieces). Half strawberries and add them in a large bowl along with spinach leaves. Add tangerine and feta cheese. Add vinaigrette just before serving so that the salad doesn't get very soggy. Enjoy!!!
Slivered almonds, chaat masala, chilli powder can be added for variation.
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#21
Thank you for visiting Sizzlingveggies.com. If this is your first time here -- a Warm Welcome. Get ready with your chef hat, apron, and a big SMILE to cook some tasty recipes from around the world. Don't hesitate to join my Facebook Fan Page where I share my passion for cooking, baking, blogging and never ending sizzling recipes.