Recently I saw a gif with a parent teaching a toddler “Q is for Quinoa”– a modern parent’s method of teaching ABC. I didn’t know how to pronounce quinoa few years back and now anyone and everyone is “qurazy for quinoa”. As many know quinoa is rich in protein, rich in fiber, rich in anti-inflammatory properties and packed with healthy nutrients. I personally substitute quinoa for rice and I love it. Luckily for me, my kids love it too. So I’m always in search of new recipes to enjoy them in either salads, soups etc. I came across this recipe and the idea of combining garbanzo beans and zucchini with quinoa was so intriguing that I wanted to give it a try.
Was the recipe as expected? I would say it exceeded my expectation in all aspects. I was pleasantly surprised by the taste of turmeric and cumin. Even though the original recipe is for a cold salad, I made it as warm salad as the weather here is not conducive for me to try and make any cold recipes. Its a quick and easy to prepare and that’s an added bonus. Enjoy!!!
Recipe Source: acedarspoon
- Quinoa -- 1/2 cup
- Chickpeas/Garbanzo Beans -- 1 can (15 oz), washed and rinsed
- Zucchini -- 1 medium (chopped into cubes)
- Onion -- 1/4 cup (finely chopped) or 2 green onion stalk both white and green parts chopped
- Garlic -- 1 medium pod (finely chopped)
- Olive oil -- 2 Tbsp
- Turmeric -- 1/2 tsp
- Cumin Powder -- 1 tsp
- Paprika -- 1/2 tsp (adjust to taste)
- Salt and Pepper -- to taste
- Parsley -- 1/4 cup (finely chopped)
- Cook Quinoa as per packaging instructions and set aside.
- In a large sauce pan, heat 1 Tbsp of oil and add garlic and fry for a minute. Add onions to the pan and fry till they turn translucent.
- Add chickpeas, chopped zucchini, and fry for about 1 to 2 minutes. Now add quinoa, turmeric, salt, pepper, paprika, and cumin powder and mix well. Switch off flame and add remaining 1 Tbsp of olive oil and mix. Add parsley and mix well. Serve warm or refrigerate if serving cold. Enjoy!!!
Thank you for visiting Sizzlingveggies.com. If this is your first time here -- a Warm Welcome. Get ready with your chef hat, apron, and a big SMILE to cook some tasty recipes from around the world. Don't hesitate to join my Facebook Fan Page where I share my passion for cooking, baking, blogging and never ending sizzling recipes.