I strongly believe that the outcome of my day depends on what I have for breakfast. I don’t diet or starve, I try to eat as healthy as humanly possible. I do have to jump through hurdles on bad days where it gets tough to control my junk food or sugar cravings. A good breakfast satisfies my hunger and keeps me full for a long period of time, making the fight much easier for me to win. According to me, a good breakfast is protein rich accompanied with a fruit and a drink of my choice. The most easy breakfast to make that fulfills my criteria is eggs.
I prefer egg whites to yolks in my scramble. So any scramble I make is entirely with egg whites and lots of vegetables. I usually whip my eggs with water to get the fluffy texture, but I was pleasantly surprised when I came across this recipe from wholeandheavenlyoven, where she uses buttermilk instead of water to make the scramble. Isn’t it interesting? Just as the recipe promises, the resulting scramble was fluffy and I loved its texture and taste. The only modification I made to the recipe was to stir-fry all the vegetables (except avocados) instead of adding them raw. I also omitted cheese as I didn’t want the taste or texture of my scramble to be overpowered by the cheese. The day I made this breakfast, I was a happy camper, enjoying this hearty breakfast with a plate full of scramble, a side of hot sauce, fruits, and a big glass of buttermilk. What a lovely way to start the day, right? Enjoy!!!
- Egg whites or whole eggs -- 6 large
- Buttermilk -- 1/4 cup
- Cooking Oil -- 1 Tbsp + 1 tsp
- Salt & Pepper -- to taste
- Red Bell Pepper -- 1/4 (chopped into small cubes)
- Onion -- 1/4 (chopped finely)
- Shredded Carrots -- 1/4 cup
- Avocado -- 1/2 (chopped to small bite size pieces)
- In a large bowl, whisk egg whites (or whole eggs) and buttermilk until smooth. Add salt and pepper just enough for the eggs and whisk few more times to evenly mix.
- Heat a large skillet, add 1 tsp of oil. Add onions and saute till they turn translucent. Add red bell pepper, shredded carrots and fry for about 2 minutes. Sprinkle salt and pepper just enough for the vegetables. Transfer the vegetables to a plate and set aside.
- Return the skillet back to the stove, heat the remaining 1 Tbsp of oil until the oil is hot but not burning hot, just shimmery. Pour the beaten egg mixture to the skillet. Gently fold the eggs along the edges as they begin to set. Do not overdo it as the fluffiness comes from gentle folding and not vigorous scrambling. This should take only few minutes (about 3 to 5 minutes)
- Switch off heat and transfer the scrambled eggs to the serving plate. Add the vegetable toppings on top of the eggs and serve with a side of hot sauce. Enjoy!!!
Thank you for visiting Sizzlingveggies.com. If this is your first time here -- a Warm Welcome. Get ready with your chef hat, apron, and a big SMILE to cook some tasty recipes from around the world. Don't hesitate to join my Facebook Fan Page where I share my passion for cooking, baking, blogging and never ending sizzling recipes.