One of the good uses of cauliflower is to make pizza crust out of it. This recipe isn’t time-consuming and doesn’t require any yeast and definitely does not require you to wait for the dough to ferment as in the regular pizza crust. A big selling point for me was the calorie in each slice of this pizza(about 150 calories per slice) which is a fraction of a regular crust pizza.
Now comes the warning, if you are a total pizza lover, the crust is not going to taste the same as a regular pizza but a little different with an adapted taste. To my great surprise, my husband and kids loved it and I was really glad that I tried it. Thanks to Recipegirl for this wonderful recipe and I can see myself substituting this crust for regular pizza crust with unlimited options for the topping.
I topped with marinara sauce, bell pepper, olives, pineapple and fresh mozzarella cheese. The options for toppings is unlimited and so is the choice of cheese. Use your imagination and try it once before you decide to pass. This is my recipe for this week’s blogging marathon under “Recipes with spread”.
- Cauliflower -- 1/2 head of large cauliflower or 2+ cups shredded cauliflower
- Flax seed meal -- 1 Tbsp mixed in 3 Tbsp water (or use 1 large egg)
- Shredded Mozzarella Cheese --- 1 cup
- Dried Oregano -- 1 tsp
- Minced garlic -- 1/2 tsp
- Flavored Salt (Onion or garlic) -- 1/2 tsp
- Marinara Sauce -- 1/4 cup (or pizza sauce)
- Fresh Mozzarella Cheese or shredded --- 1/2 cup
- Pineapple Chunks -- 1/2 cup
- Green Bell Pepper -- 1 (Cut in to strips)
- Olives (sliced) -- 1/2 cup
- Using a fine grater, shred the cauliflower in to crumbles (if you are planning to use food processor for grating, then make sure they are crumbles and not a fine paste.
- Microwave the grated cauliflower crumbles for 8 minutes. Let it cool. If you do not have microwave, then you can steam cauliflower just until cooked and then grate them.
- In a bowl, mix cooked crumbles, flax seed meal mixture, shredded cheese, oregano, garlic, and salt.
- Pat the crust mixture on a pizza pan or cookie sheet to about 9 inch to 12 inch diameter round.
- Spray the crust with non-stick cooking spray and bake the crust in 450F preheated oven for about 15 minutes or until the crust is golden and crispy.
- Remove the crust and turn the oven to broil.
- Spread marinara sauce on the baked crust, add toppings of your choice, and sprinkle cheese.
- Broil for 3 to 4 minutes until the cheese melts. Cut in to slices and serve immediately.
Make sure the sauce is thick before adding to the crust. If the sauce is watery then it makes the crust soggy. Also drain the toppings of any extra water before adding them to the crust for a crispy pizza.
Thank you for visiting Sizzlingveggies.com. If this is your first time here -- a Warm Welcome. Get ready with your chef hat, apron, and a big SMILE to cook some tasty recipes from around the world. Don't hesitate to join my Facebook Fan Page where I share my passion for cooking, baking, blogging and never ending sizzling recipes.