Idiyappam also called as “string hoppers” is a delicious steamed breakfast commonly made in Kerala. My mom makes a similar more laborious recipe called sevai. She makes it by soaking rice, grinding them to thin batter, steaming them, and squeezing them through sevai machine called sevai nazhi. It’s a fun process and my entire family will be involved in making them. I love to eat them not so much in making them. As a compromise, I make idiyappam a step-down version of sevai with idiyappam powder. The method of making this recipe is much simpler and less time-consuming. To make it even more healthy I make it with chemba (red rice) idiyappam powder and it’s very filling and delicious.
All you need for this recipe is idiyappam powder, water, coconut oil and the idiyappam/sev machine like this one. I usually serve this dish with garbanzo beans curry but any coconut based kurma or gravy will go well with this dish.
- Chemba Idiyappam Powder(I used Nirapara brand) - 2 cups
- Coconut oil - 1 Tbsp
- Salt - a pinch
- Water - as needed
- In a big plate or vessel add chemba idiyappam powder.
- In another vessel heat water, salt and coconut oil. Let it come to a rolling boil. This step is important. If the water is not to rolling boil, the idiyappam when pressed through machine will start breaking or crumbling. So let it boil well.
- Mix boiling water little by little with the idiyappam powder. Mix the water and idiyappam powder using a laddle or flat spoon to a thick dough. The consistency should be slightly loose than chappati dough, enough to be able to easily squeeze them through the idiyappam machine.
- In a idli plate or plate with holes, squeeze idiyappam with idiyappam machine using the sev disc. Steam the idiyappams in high for about 7 minutes. Serve hot with your choice of kurma or gravy. Enjoy!!!
Thank you for visiting Sizzlingveggies.com. If this is your first time here -- a Warm Welcome. Get ready with your chef hat, apron, and a big SMILE to cook some tasty recipes from around the world. Don't hesitate to join my Facebook Fan Page where I share my passion for cooking, baking, blogging and never ending sizzling recipes.