My recent slack of being adventurous in the kitchen has made me open the thinking doors in my brain or a self-reflection both of which I rarely do. The reasoning I was close to accepting for my lack of being myself or being enthusiastic to new things is sheer laziness or the endless saga of expectations that I’ve been shouldering without a moment to breath and with no appreciation. Without awareness to my constant train of thoughts I stepped out for a walk expecting a sunny stroll only to be swayed swiftly by the hollering strong wind with intensity to carry me away. The winds have to be really strong to make me write that statement and I’m not that puny so I guess that speaks volumes about the nature of the crappy windy weather and with disappointment I rushed home with my eyes and nose watering. In order for my mouth to start watering I had to think about getting in the kitchen and to start making something piping hot for my growling stomach. I’m not a soup person but there’s something about baby corn and clear soups that makes me want to lean towards that bowl.
The soup as stated earlier is a clear soup with mushrooms, spinach, carrot for added crunch. Surprisingly I made a big batch and my son who can complain about anything and everything gave a thumbs up and that does say something that I still got in me to try something new. This recipe is quick, easy but doesn’t compromise on the taste. Serve with a side of bread, I served with cheese sticks and croutons. Enjoy!!!
Recipe adapted from Sparkpeople.com
- Button Mushrooms -- 1 1/2 cups (Sliced)
- Baby Corn (canned or fresh) -- 15 oz can
- Carrot --1 large (cut roughly into cube about 3/4 cup)
- Tofu -- 1 cup (cubed)
- Garlic Paste -- 1 Tbsp
- Baby Spinach Leaves -- 6 to 8
- Chilli Powder -- 1 Tbsp
- Oil -- 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar -- 1 Tbsp
- Low Sodium Vegetable Broth -- 3 cups
- Tomatoes -- 2 medium (finely chopped)
- Corn Flour -- 1 tsp mixed in 1/4 cup water
- Salt -- to taste
- In a wide saucepan, heat oil, add garlic paste and fry for a minute. Add baby corn and mushrooms and saute till mushroom wilts. Add carrots, chopped tomatoes, tofu and stir fry for about a minute.
- Add vegetable broth or water and bring to a boil. Now add spinach leaves, chilli powder, salt. Mix cornflour with water in a small bowl. Add the corn flour to the soup and stir till the soup thickens to the desired consistency. Switch off the flame and then add vinegar and mix well. Serve hot with your choice of bread or croutons. Enjoy!!!
- Note: I served the soup topped with Tabasco sauce (hot sauce).
Thank you for visiting Sizzlingveggies.com. If this is your first time here -- a Warm Welcome. Get ready with your chef hat, apron, and a big SMILE to cook some tasty recipes from around the world. Don't hesitate to join my Facebook Fan Page where I share my passion for cooking, baking, blogging and never ending sizzling recipes.