Butter cake is supposed to be one of the basic cakes in which the main ingredient is butter along with flour, eggs, and sugar. This month’s baking eggless group decided to turn this recipe into eggless version. As they have loads of butter they are supposed to be one of the quintessential cakes and require you to run an extra mile to digest this rich delicacy. I was putting off baking this recipe searching for the perfect egg replacer but the over ripe banana sitting on my counter was screaming to be used and so I did along with sparkling water (carbonated water) and chia seeds. Was I successful?
I don’t know how to measure my success with this cake. The taste was so good that the entire cake vanished by day 2. My kids were so happy and excited to eat them. So in taste category it was a success. However, I would have personally preferred the cake to be less dense. Maybe I could have reduced the amount of sparkling water in the recipe and I guess I could have gauged the liquid part of the cake a little better. Is there room for improvising this recipe, you bet. With the fall weather in full swing I love warm desserts and this warm cake with melted butter-brown sugar topping is sure to be loved by one and all. What do you think?
Beat butter and sugar in a bowl until fluffy.
Add mashed bananas and chia mixture. Beat until light and fluffy.
Add flour mixture and combine well. Add milk, carbonated water or soda and raisins. Fold gently.
Transfer the cake batter into a square or round greased pan. Bake at preheated 325F oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean and the cake starts to leave the sides of the pan. Have the butter topping (combine butter, brown sugar, cinnamon in a bowl) ready. Pour the butter topping on the warm cake. Slice and serve warm. Enjoy!!!
- Butter -- 1/2 cup / 110gm (divided)
- Caster Sugar -- 1/2 cup / 115gm
- All Purpose Flour -- 1 3/4 cup
- Baking Powder -- 2 tsp
- Sultanas/ Golden Raisins --1/2 cup
- Milk --1 Tbsp
- Light Brown Sugar -- 2 Tbsp
- Cinnamon powder --3/4 tsp
- Chia seed meal -- 1 Tbsp mixed in 3 Tbsp water
- Banana (Ripe) -- 1 (mashed)
- Carbonated Water/Soda -- 4 oz
- Preheat oven to 170C or 325 F. Grease a 7" springform cake pan or a square pan. In a bowl take 1/4 cup of butter (1/2 of 1/2 cup) and sugar and beat until creamy.
- Mix chia seed meal and water in a separate bowl and let it aside for about 5 to 10 minutes to get a gooey mixture. Add the chia seed mixture and mashed bananas and beat well until light and fluffy.
- Add raisins, milk, carbonated water/soda and fold gently, just enough to combine.
- Pour the batter to the prepared pan. Bake for about 15 to 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted should come out clean and the cake starts to leave the sides of the pan.
- While the cake is baking in the oven, prepare the topping. Mix remaining half of the butter, cinnamon, and light brown sugar until the sugar and butter dissolves together to form a liquid topping.
- Once the cake is baked, remove it from the oven, spread the topping on the cake. Let it settle for a minute. Slice the cake, serve warm and Enjoy!!!
Thank you for visiting Sizzlingveggies.com. If this is your first time here -- a Warm Welcome. Get ready with your chef hat, apron, and a big SMILE to cook some tasty recipes from around the world. Don't hesitate to join my Facebook Fan Page where I share my passion for cooking, baking, blogging and never ending sizzling recipes.