I don’t have much experience with bread baking. In fact before the blogging marathon, my baking was more confined to muffins and cakes (nothing fancy just the regular ones). Since this week’s theme is specifically to bread, I’m exploring the waters and learning the knick-Knacks of bread baking. Today’s recipe is a version of quick bread and I chose this recipe (from Biscuits, Pancakes, and Quick Breads book by Beverly Cox) partly because I didn’t have much time in hand for the yeast to proof and go through two rises that is typically required for any bread and partly because I was very much intrigued about the idea of baking a bread with zucchini. I was so happy with the outcome as the bread had a kind of carrot cake texture and makes a perfect companion for coffee or tea. I added some semi-sweet chocolate chips as an added bonus for my kutties and that was well appreciated with out a say. Here it goes for BM#15, day 2…
Zucchini — 1 (6 inch)
All purpose flour — 3 cups
Baking powder — 3 tsp
Baking soda — 1 tsp
Salt — 1 tsp
Ground Cinnamon — 1/2 tsp
Granulated sugar — 1 cup
Brown sugar — 1/2 cup
Chopped Toasted Almonds — 1/2 cup
Vanilla flavored yogurt — 1 (8 ounce) container
Vegetable oil — 1/2 cup
Unsweetened Applesauce — 1/2 cup
Semi sweet chocolate chips –1/4 cup
1. Coarsely grate zucchini in to a kitchen towel. Wrap the zucchini and wring it, to squeeze out all the juice. Set aside.
2. Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 9x5x3 inch loaf pan and line the bottom with parchment paper.
3. Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon together into a large bowl. Stir in granulated sugar and brown sugar. Add the zucchini and nut and combine well with the dry ingredients.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk together the yogurt, oil, and applesauce. Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients and pour in the yogurt mixture. Finally add the chocolate chips and stir with a wooden spatula until all the ingredients are just combined.
5. Spoon the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake in the middle rack of the oven until a tooth pick inserted comes out clean. The recipe calls for baking time from 55-65mins. It took about 75 minutes for me to bake this bread. Allow the bread to cool in the pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes, then remove from the pan and peel off the paper; let cool completely on the rack.
Grate zucchini in a kitchen towel and squeeze the juice out. Mix all the dry ingredients and add zucchini and nuts. In a separate bowl mix yogurt, oil and applesauce.
Make a well and add the yogurt mixture to the flour mixture. Mix well and finally add chocolate chips. Pour the batter in a parchment paper lined loaf pan and bake in 350F oven till tooth picks inserted comes out clean. Enjoy!!!
To Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#15 click here.
Thank you for visiting Sizzlingveggies.com. If this is your first time here -- a Warm Welcome. Get ready with your chef hat, apron, and a big SMILE to cook some tasty recipes from around the world. Don't hesitate to join my Facebook Fan Page where I share my passion for cooking, baking, blogging and never ending sizzling recipes.